Pomander balls go all the way back to the 15th century when they served as natural air fresheners for closets and drawers. Here are the items needed and steps below to create your own pomander balls.
- Any citrus favorite...oranges, lemons, limes, or grapefruit
- Whole cloves
- Ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, anise, lavender or rosemary
- Resealable plastic bag
- Ribbon for hanging
2. Push the whole cloves in the holes you just created.
3. Once the fruit is studded with the cloves, place ground spices and pomander ball in the resealable plastic bag and shake until fruit is coated. You can even add powdered orris root to encourage quick and even drying.
4. Remove fruit from the bag and tie on ribbon to hang in hallways, on the tree or in closets. You can also place the pomander balls in bowls to create scented displays.
These wonderful creations also make great gifts! Not only will your loved ones cherish a gift handmade by you, but you'll also be filling their home with scents to enjoy the whole season and beyond.